Sunday, October 7, 2012

Better than bakery rolls...

A couple of weeks ago my dear friends, Laurie and Michelle, from HS visited and Laurie brought homemade oatmeal rolls that were so delicious that I've tagged them as "better than bakery rolls" because well, they're hands-down, better than bakery rolls!

They are SUPER simple to make AND the best part is you can use your handy dandy bread machine (which, in MY case, is a hand-me-down from my sis...LOVE IT, thanks Tammy)!  We made a batch on Friday that lasted about a minute.  Ok, well maybe a couple of minutes!

Can I just say I've never had such delicious rolls e.v.e.r.!

Oh wait, I think I've already said that!  :-)

Sorry, I repeat myself.

Proofing...
 Fresh out of the oven...
 Smeared with lots of butter to keep them soft on the outside...
Getting ready for the big taste-test...
This batch was a total success compared to last weekend's batch which was...slightly dense.  POSSIBLE DIFFERENCES: We I used the bread machine AND King Arthur flour...(Sorry Bob, gotta give props to the bread machine!).
And now for the big reveal...

Oatmeal Rolls (Better than bakery)

1 1/4 cups luke-warm water
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup rolled oats (quick or old fashioned)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt

First, place the warm water in the bread machine pan, then cut up butter and add it to the water which softens and starts to melt butter. Next, add the oatmeal and brown sugar to the buttered water. Then add the flour and yeast and place the salt in one corner on top of flour.

Once all the ingredients are in the bread machine, select the dough cycle on your machine.  When complete, divide dough into 12 equal parts, butter your hands, form dough into rolls and place in greased (lightly buttered) 9 X 13 pan.  Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise until doubled in size, 10-20 minutes, possibly longer depending on temperature in the room.  Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees. 

Immediately slide out of pan, coat the tops and sides with butter to keep soft and let cool on wire rack.  Once completely cool, store in an air tight bag or container.

Thank you Laurie (VanVliet) Webb for sharing this deliciousness!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! These look AMAZING!!!! I am most definitely keeping this recipe and trying it! One thing though...I don't have a bread machine. :-/ Any suggestions for someone who is doing it by hand??

    ReplyDelete