Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The "Potato" Half

This 4th for me will be spent recovering from having this "potato" shaped thingy removed from my thigh which was done yesterday. This "thingy" is actually the antibiotic delivery device that was implanted in my thigh last year when I had staph infection after my hip revision surgery. It served its purpose and was time to remove it since it's not meant to remain in place long term like an artificial joint is.

From my understanding, the device is made by combining a special dry cement with a powder form of antibiotic and then mixed together with a little water to form its shape...like half of a potato. The body then absorbs the medicine which only lasts for a few weeks.

The surgeon wasn't able to "smuggle" the potato out of the OR to show me but he was thoughtful enough to take a photo and email it to me. It's always so fascinating to see the neat things they can do in the world of medicine!

I will probably never look at a potato in the same way after seeing this one!

 

Happy 4th!

1 comment:

  1. Awww! I'm sorry to hear you had to go through this! Hope you are recovering well!

    ReplyDelete